This is the time of year when we all make those handy-dandy New Year’s resolutions, work really hard for a couple weeks, and go back to the norm because we were super gung ho and burned ourselves out in a few weeks. I did 30 seconds of Google research on this one guys…. only 8% of New Year’s resolutions happen.
January is a time for self imposed failure rituals. How fun.
(I realize it is essentially a week in, and I’m just now talking to you about resolutions, diets, getting organized, and the rest of that self improvement bullshit. I am willing to move past that.)
At this point we are a week into our resolutions and a lot of us have already screwed up. We already feel like failures. We already gave up. I might be included in that list… I’m not for sure.
Anywhoo….. I have a few goals for 2015 that I’m going to share here publicly. I’m picking super easy goals because I’m still pumped about those Mini-Habits I told you about a month or so ago.
- Tell people I know in real life that I have a blog.
- Make my blog more me. I do occasionally like pink… but in general I’m just not a pink person. I need to turn this into something more me.
- Read 25 books (kid’s books don’t count, young adult books do)
- Do something active every day. It doesn’t matter what it is… doing a couple crunches, walking on the treadmill, going to a yoga class… as long as I’m doing it for the purpose of being active. (Things that have to get done anyway don’t count)
- Commit to one blog a week. The content doesn’t matter, it just has to be a published post.
- Find one item every day that I don’t want, don’t need, or will never use and get rid of it. It can be thrown out, given away, donated, sacrificed to the gods, repurposed, whatever.
If you yourself made some sort of resolution or attempt at self improvement at the start of the new year… don’t give up. Maybe you picked something that was not reasonable for you. Maybe you went into it without a plan. Maybe it isn’t that important to you. It doesn’t really matter. If you find that you are struggling, take a moment to reassess what your goal is, come up with a gameplan, and move forward. Maybe this new plan will be better for you. Maybe you will need to re-assess again and again until you find a goal that is attainable and a plan to make it happen.